Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bread. Babysitting. And some more stuff.


Remember when I blogged about my first pot roast?
And I told ya'll how I was so proud of myself for making a pot roast?
And that I wanted to run around my kitchen pounding my chest and yelling "I. Have. Made Pot Roast!"  Just like Tom Hanks in Castaway after he made fire.
You remember that right?

Well,
tonight,
I am even more officially a grown up.
Or maybe now I am just an "older" grown up.
Because my friends...
(pounding my chest) I. Have. Made. Bread.
That's right.
Real life, edible, only five ingredients used, bread!
Months ago a client asked me if I would like her bread machine.  She said it just sits there and she has a new one now and she'd just give it to me.  I told her no that I didn't think I would use it.  (what was wrong with me?!)  Well, I recently read about how many unnecessary for us (but necessary to have a longer shelf life) ingredients are in store bought breads, and it really grossed me out.  So I called her and asked if she still had that bread machine to giveaway.  And she did!  I did her hair yesterday and she brought it to me.  It's only three years old and is a pretty nice one I think.
My first batch turned out a bit dense.
She recommended I use a scale to measure the flour because 1 cup should = just 5 oz.  So today I bought this one on amazon.
Can't wait to make my next loaf!!
I. Have. Made. Bread.

 I also made these egg fritatas today. 
I got the recipe from pinterest.
We ate a few tonight and I froze the rest for healthy go to meals in our busy morning rush out the door.
The egg mixture to fill 6 muffin cups is 4 eggs and 1/4 c half and half.  Salt, pepper to taste and I added a bit of minced onion this time.  Last time I added garlic powder and lawry's salt.
Then just drop your toppings of choice into each cup.
In this batch I used mushrooms, red bell pepper, spinach, cooked bacon I made earlier today, and parmesan cheese.
Give em a whirl.  They are pretty good.

In some non related food news:
I had another baby.
haha.
just kidding.
I watched my girlfriend's baby girl last Thursday morning while her son was in pre school, and she watched Claire for me this morning while Hannah was in school.  It's a nice little trade off and let me tell ya, so many different possibilities ran through my mind of how I could possibly spend my two hours of alone time!
Nice huh?
This morning I was going to go to the gym but it was gloriously beautiful outside so I went for a jog instead. 
Then I grocery shopped at Sprouts in search of yeast for my bread.
I'm loving our trade off and I think my girlfriend is too. 


So, last weekend we went to dinner Saturday night to meet up with my Aunt Glenda (my Dad's sister) and my cousins Jessica and Todd.  Jessica is a crazy good runner and she was running the HB marathon the next day.  They live up north and we don't get to see them nearly as much as we'd like to so it was a treat that they were so close by for Jess' race that we had to meet up.
This is a picture of me, Jessica, and my sister Erika when we were little...

You are diggin' those bangs aren't you?
How bout the banana clips all jazzed up with pink lace?
I remember being flower girls' in our 2nd cousin's wedding that day and feeling so very pretty in our "fancy' dresses and those fancy banana clips in our hair.
The three of us were inseperable as kids.  We had a lot of fun times together. 
And this is us now...
I know.  You're thinking it's a really good picture of me aren't you?
Thanks.  Yeah, I know.
It's the only one of us three I got ok. 
Next to my mom over there on the left is my cousin Todd's beautiful girlfriend Kelly that I met for the first time.  What a sweet girl she is.  And isn't my cousin Todd so handsome?  And that is Glenda in front of Todd. 
It was so fun to visit and we wish it was a longer one!


Before I sign off,
lots of people asked me where to get the Kenra blow dry spray I blogged about.
If you live in the area my salon sells it for $25 lrg size and $13 small size.
I would guess Ulta stores would carry it too.
And,
since I love it so much, stay tuned for a giveaway soon.
I might have bought an extra for one of you's. 
;)

20 comments:

Shannon said...

Love homemade bread but I've never made mine in a bread maker. I wonder if it's easier that way or not. I just made mine in the oven.
Loving the picture of you, your cousin and sister when you were little. Can you believe the hairstyles back then lol!

Mrs. Dunbar said...

Okay, great minds think alike. Just showed the hubby two of your pics and he says, "Is that your pictures?" HA. You just beat me to the punch.

I love how perfect your loaf is. Maybe I'll have to try the breadmaker.

And the old school pic? Seriously, you all were rockin the bangs!

Loving mine today... and my poof.

Kris said...

Yea for your first loaf of bread! I love to make bread, and even have two machines going at once sometimes. You will have fun with that. And that picture of Claire with Shelbie's little one makes Clairey look so big!! What a great idea to do the trade off. Gives you both some much needed alone time. And I LOVED seeing the photo of the three of you girls when you were in Crystal's wedding. Funny pic of the three of you the other night. It was great to see all of them.
XO Mumsy

kim said...

Genn,
Haven't left a comment in a while.. I too have a bread machine my Mom recently gave to me maybe I will bust it out and try some.. My parents used to make homemade bread all the time when I was a kid... Sometimes it's the simple things like homemade bread that we have to get back too.. Great idea swapping the childcare for some quiet time.. :) Have a great weekend...
Kim

Holly said...

Congrats on the bread! You are such a big girl now. Try your mom's english muffin bread, it's easy and soooo good. I'm sure you know that already. I'm going to try your little eggy thing-a-ma-doodles. They look good! Anyhoo, off to find a pink lace banana clip, you inspire me.

Kerri said...

Yay for bread and babysitting trade offs! Until I read your mom's comment, I thought that was Hannah with the little girl you were babysitting! Oops!
Guess where I'm headed this afternoon with a friend of mine? Yep, Ulta! She's been asking me to go and so I finally said lets get it on the calendar...I didn't tell her WHY I have this new found enthusiasm to get there. ;)

Connie (aka LOU) said...

Good MORNING! I read your blog last night and so enjoyed this post. I have never had any interest in a bread machine but you have inspired me, and those egg thingys look pretty good too. I think I know what is going on my list of "to dos" this weekend. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Bad photo of U? That is the worst of me! LOL ah well...like Dad says "this is just what we look like people" it has been really nice outside! I am enjoying it from my window view office, bleh. Lol

Oh my garsh I'm so making a batch of go to egg muffins this weekend for my work week! Thanks!
XO

Casey said...

That is so so awesome you made bread! I think that would honestly be a little ambitous for me :)!!
I love that you and a friend swap kids to get alone time, that is such an awesome idea!
Have a wonderful weekend!!
xoxo

Holly said...

My SIL made this beautiful, huge loaf of braided bread at Christmas... she told me it was pretty simple and to just search "egg bread" (I think) on Allrecipes.... obviously I never did, but seeing your post makes me want to!!

Maybe I will make that a weekend project?!!

Sandy said...

Now I want a bread maker! That is so cool! And those little egg fritata things look really good too, must try them. :)

Heather said...

Bread makers are the best! It's so nice to smell it cooking and then to eat it warm right out of the machine. Oh yum! Great idea on trading babysitting for some time alone. The bangs...awesome! Didn't we all have those back then?!?! :) Have a great weekend Genn!

Kelli said...

That sounds like a fabulous trade off...two hours sounds wonderful!!! I adore picture of you guys when you were little...banana clips ruled! Glad you had a fun time catching up with your family.

Thiago & Teri said...

So I totally never realized how much Clairey looks like you until I am seeing that pic of you as a little girl. Isn't that crazy. Love the old picture, adorable. Isn't it great how style changes. I always think we all look so cute right now and that we can't possibly look back and laugh, but I am sure the time will come that we will do just that.

Haha....happy weekend Genn!!

TonyaElise said...

I just started making our bread, too. I even make our hamburger buns and bagels - so much better than store bought! Here is the recipe for honey wheat sandwich bread that my family loves:

1 c water
1/4 c honey
1 tsp salt
1 T melted butter
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 c plus 3 T whole wheat flour
1 2/3 c bread flour

I through all the ingredients in the bread maker and put it on the dough cycle. (And I'm not a super-exact measurer.) Then move dough to greased 9x5 loaf pan, cover with cloth, and let rise a couple hours (until it reaches the top of the pan or a little higher). Then bake 25 min at 350. Brush with a little melted butter right out of the oven and it keeps the crust so soft.

Also, you should buy the yeast at Sam's. It is way cheaper. And you get enough to make bread for the rest of your life. I keep mine in a freezer bag in the fridge and it stays good for a long time. (For recipes, you should know that 1 package is about 2 1/4 tsp yeast if you buy in bulk).

Good luck with you bread making!

Nicolle said...

The bread looks great, and I had no idea that store bought bread had bad stuff in it?! Now I'm going to go research that. Yuck! That old picture of you and your sis and cousin is great. I had a million of those banana clips. :) Have a great weekend!

Eric and Jenny said...

Such proud moments for you friend, bread and pot roast, you are definitely June Cleaver now I think!

I used to make bread with our bread maker all the time when we lived in Kentucky during law school. I don't think I have pulled it out once since we moved back to Utah, I have no idea why not!

Hope your weekend is wonderful, you guys doing anything fun?

Susanne said...

totally want a bread maker now! i have a question/request for you. i love when you post the different healthy things you are eating/cooking. could you do a post where you list everything you eat or plan to eat for a few days or a week? i'm trying to eat healthier but run out of ideas and/or get lazy. need some help! also, we're getting a trader joe's (right across the street from whole foods!) and i am beyond excited!! maybe you could do another post on all your favorite items from tj's?
always look forward to your posts--have a great weekend!

lori said...

wow, lady... you are really making strides in the grown up world ;)

i love that old picture. SO funny.

and im very excited about this giveaway :)

Janene said...

I love my bread maker--the pizza dough I make is a hit: ) Want to stretch myself to hamburger buns--but haven't tried yet: ) Maybe I will now!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...