After seeing the clever way Shannon decorated her family's dinner table on Valentine's Day, I knew I had all I needed to create something similar.
Sure the 17th was no longer V-Day. But it was LOVE week. So I wrote happy Love week in the middle of several sheets of butcher paper, scattered a few sheets of stickers around and some markers and smarties and called the girls down from quiet time.
They loved it and thought our table looked sooooo "fancy".
It kept them nice and busy (without tears or fights!) while I finished up dinner.
We had black bean soup that I made in the crockpot.
We thought it was really good. Very tasty (and meatless).
I got the recipe from pinterest. You can find it here.
It did have a bit of a kick so next time I might not add so many of the spices, but we still loved it.
We topped it with avocado and a little bit of plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Oh, and I made popover muffins with berry sauce. See the sauce in the mason jar on the table there?
The berry sauce was soooo sweet and so delicious. Very simple to make too. In a small saucepan I put about 3/4 c of frozen mixed berries, 1/4 c. water, and 2 T organic real maple syrup (you could also use agave). Cook on low heat til berries are warm. Then remove from heat, and here's where the fun part comes in...
Pour into beaker and blend with hand immersion blender.
You gotta get one of these things, they are so fun! I've been "immersion blending" everything.
My mini whole wheat popovers didn't exactly "pop-over" very well. I think it's because I used soy milk instead of cow's milk. Ah well, they still tasted good. Recipe for those here.
I don't know if it was the element of fun at the dinner table with the markers and stickers or what, but that meal was the longest that the girls have ever lingered at the table eating and talking with us after dinner. I will have to do that more often. Although, the next morning Claire snuck downstairs and decided to color orange and black marker on the dining chair seat cushions and the carpet. Lovely. Good thing crayola wasn't kidding when they labeled their markers as "washable". Thanks for that crayola.
Hannah picked out a hello kitty bubble toy.
Claire is sippin a smoothie that I whipped up with my handy dandy immersion blender! ;)
We sure have had lovely weather lately.
I'm starting to get spring fever in a bad way.
I want a tan. And I want to wear my new shorts.
I fell asleep outside on our wicker loveseat in the backyard with the sun shining on me while the girls were playing this afternoon.
I was sort of like a zombie for most of today because I was up coughing until 3am. I took Nyquil to finally fall asleep, but you know how that is trying to snap out of that at 6am. Not fun. At all.
Happy almost weekend.
Anybody have any fun plans?
I've got a girls night out planned.
Can I get a woot woot.
See ya round friends.












15 comments:
You've been a cooking fool lately!!! Looks good! I made WW chili tonight, and used greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Yummy!! Our avocados are ripe and we have been having some yummy sandwiches with them. I made an especially delicious lasagna yesterday.
I feel like it is Friday today. I am so ready for the weekend. I am pooped!!! See you tomorrow...we are excited for Grandparents Day!!
Ok the berry sauce looks so good that my mouth is watering right now! I may have to give it a try this weekend.
Oh I am so sorry you are not feeling well, hopefully you get some good sleep so you can have a great time at girls night. I have zero plans Eric's out of town so the kids and I have planned movie night for tomorrow but other than that I got nothing!
The berry sauce looks fantastic I will be trying that for sure, I bet it would be so good on waffles or pancakes. In fact we are having french toast tomorrow for dinner maybe I will give it a try!
you have been getting serious in the kitchen, genn! your girls seem to not be picky eaters at all... i need to learn your secret before i have kids.
im jealous of your girls night out. make sure you blog about it so i can live vicariously through you!
Dang, now I really want the yellow one too.
What a fun idea using the butcher paper for the girls to draw on! It remind me of a seafood place we eat at at the beach and they give out crayons to keep the kids busy. Your dinner looks yummy...you are a cooking fool lately! I think my favorite thing about pinterest is the recipes! I don't think I'' ever need to buy another cookbook! (well, maybe!)
I did the same thing with Nyquiast night! I stood there contemplating no sleep vs a few hours with a zombie haze day. Zombie won.
Now it raining in Georgia so this is definately a movie day at our house!
It's like a famous person mentioned my name, lol. Thank you!! ;)
The girls look like they had a blast coloring and that dinner looks delish. Don't ya just love family dinner sit down time especially when everyone actually eats and behaves.
I know what you mean with the needing a tan, I feel too white to be wearing short sleeves but I am loving this weather just wish it would stay this way everyday!
Happy girls night out, I get a date night...FINALLY!
Have fun :)
I do actually have weekend plans. Holla! I wrote about them today. Oh, and I got a haircut this week. Still growing of course, but I was starting to feel like MacGyver so I had the mullet part cut - now it's more an a-line bob with the longest part in the front about level with my nose.
Love your recipes, every time! Thanks for the tip on cutting back the spices. It's helpful to know when you're trying a new one from Pinterest. I have a blueberry b'fast cake posted today. Just out of the oven in my house. YUMMERS!!!
My last "girls night out" was in 2008....for my bachlorette party! haha! I'd say I'm way over-due. Enjoy it, girl!
I love that idea for the Valentine's table. I have seen something similar for Thanksgiving. I love avocado so much, and never thought to use it as a garnish with beans. Yum. The popover and berry sauce look delicious. I keep saying I am buying an immersion blender, and just haven't done it yet. I've got to! Did you not die about the black marker?! :) My friend just had that happen with her white couch, and her 3 year old daughter, and hers came out too. Thank goodness. Love the pics of the girls, especially that last one. Hope you have a great weekend! We have a kid birthday to go to, then I'm supposed to meet an old girlfriend for coffee. yay!
Your LOVE table...what a FAB idea!
I really need to utilize Pinterest for more recipes. Thanks for posting! I can never get over how cute your ladies are!
That berry sauce looks SO good!!! YUM. I want an imersion blender so badly...I think I need to just buckle down & buy one!
Where are you? Post something would ya?
Post a Comment