Monday, February 13, 2012

Food, Food, Shopping, Cooking, & More Food



You might want to get yourself situated, get a snack, and get comfy, cause this post is not short and sweet.

Susanne recently left me a comment asking this:
"I have a question/request for you.  I love when you post the different healthy things you are eating/cooking.  Could you do a post where you list everything you plan to eat or cook for a few days or a week?  I'm trying to eat healthier but run out of ideas and/or get lazy."

Don't we all run out of ideas?!
Thanks so much for asking this Susanne because I have been holding back some of my food pictures thinking that others might get bored of seeing what we are eating or cooking.  And I know I'm no food blogger, so maybe it's best to leave it up to them. 

Well,
A while back after I saw Michael Pollan on an Oprah episode, I read his books Food Rules and The Omnivore's Dilemma.  I swear that Oprah, and his books are what made me want to learn more about where our food comes from.  We've been making slow and steady changes with our diet ever since.  I am currently reading this...
and last night, Mr. Hass and I finished watching the documentary Forks Over Knives.  Please watch it.  I know not everyone is a foodie, or thinks that they are better off not knowing stuff that may gross them out.  But FOK is the most informative and interesting food documentary I've seen yet.  We netflixed it.  I promise it will not be a waste of your time.

I am learning how to remove processed foods from our diet.
It is certainly taking some work, and time to read and research recipes and ideas, but it is worth it in the long run.  Mr. Hass and I have been eating 95% unprocessed foods for about a week and we both just feel so much better.  I've been trying a lot of recipes from pinterest, and have found a couple helpful blogs full of ideas too.  This blog has been so amazingly helpful with lots of great articles and tips.

So let's get to the food shall we?
Last week I tried these stuffed bell peppers one night...
They were good.  I might add a bit more spices to the sauce next time to jazz it up a bit.  recipe here.

We were all HUGE fans of this cauliflower pizza!!!
  So scrumptious and I must say not difficult at all.  I would like to get a "grown up" sized food processor eventually though.  I have a mini so that took me a little longer to rice the entire head of cauliflower but totally worth it for this healthy version of pizza!
My only advice; roll the cauliflower (or pat) it out thin enough.  A couple of my crusts were a bit smooshy in the center and they could have been thinner and crispier.  recipe here.

I found this breakfast cookie/snack recipe on pinterest and am so glad I did!! I have probably made this 5 or 6 times already. 
Mr. Hass and I have whipped em up together at night (it only takes a couple of minutes) and then we've taken em to work or eaten them at home reheated in the morning for a healthy and filling breakfast. recipe here.

Also from pinterest, yes I know hot dogs are "processed foods" but I used chicken dogs from Trader Joe's and stabbed them with whole wheat pasta noodles.
Simply boil until done and the girls got an absolute kick out of them.  I did not eat them.  ;)

In an effort to keep more fruits and veggies on hand for easy snacking, I thought I deserved to add this adorable fruit tier to my Target cart.
I love all the color that it adds to the kitchen.  Do you see my breadmaker on the counter in the background there?  I've been trying to perfect my bread makin' skills.
I tried this yogurt whole wheat loaf that was so unbelievably good.  I've made this recipe twice.  And a sweet reader Tonya shared her family's favorite recipe with me and thank you so much Tonya I cannot wait to try it!!!

These are chicken lasagna roll ups found on pinterest.
These were really easy, tasty, and the best part of all, both my girls ate every last drop on their plate!! I couldn't believe it.  I will definitely be making this one again.  It is easy to change up the flavors too with different sauces or meats, or cheese combinations.


I made pinto beans in the crockpot for the first time and they were gooooood!
The recipe called for 1/2 of a jalapeno but next time I think I'd use a whole one.  I set them up at 9am and they were ready to eat by 5.  recipe here.

To go with the crockpot refried beans, I tried this health(ier) version of nachos, also seen on pinterest.
You could essentially top them with anything you want.  I used freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, black beans, tiny bit red onion, and after broiling, topped with fresh cilantro.
That's Mr. Hass squeezing a little lime on his quinoa (cooked in chicken stock).

With all of this cooking I've been doing, the amount of dishes I've also been doing is a little depressing...
so in an effort to keep the excitement going in the kitchen, Mr. Hass okay'd my trip to Sur La Table last weekend!  I love that store and could honestly spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars in there.  I didn't, but I could.  Here's what I got...
a yellow cuisinart immersion blender, cute pot holder on sale, cute oven mitt on sale, a rad garlic press that takes the smell off your hands, a cedar plank, fun cheese grater, cute polka dot tea towel, and that super cute reisenthel farmers market bag that was on clearance.  I can't wait to go to the market looking all stylish with my new bag.  ;)
Oh yeah, also got those dry measuring cups that I needed for my bread making.
And last night, I got to try out my immersion blender for the first time while making split pea soup.
It is fun.  I can't wait to use it to make smoothies and apple butter and all sorts of things.  Do you have an immersion blender??
I served my split pea soup with uncured bacon crumbles and a slice of fresh homemade yogurt wheat bread. 

Today while flipping through this book, I realized I had all the ingredients on hand to make granola bars, so I did!
They were so easy to make and very tasty and filling.
The girls and my nephew enjoyed them today.

Well that's that.
You still there?
See anything you might want to try?

Before I go, a couple of funnies for ya...

I saw this today on pinterest and laughed out loud at the fabulous truth of it

I sent it to Mr. Hass via text while he was at work and he had a good laugh too.  We decided to call our crazies midget gasoline thieves from now on. 

Also today, I received an email that I had a new pinterest follower...

J Lo.
Jenny from the block?
Could it be?
Signed up to follow ME on pinterest?
haha.  I am sure there are probably 3 million women named Jennifer Lopez that are on pinterest, but I'm pretty sure this is THE JLO following me.
Pretty sure.


That's all for now.
Gotta go.
Mr. Hass and I are having lobster tails for dinner!

33 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

Well this was not the post to read tonight when I am having cereal for dinner. Yes cereal, depressing isn't it? It's Eric's late night, kids mac and cheese, me cereal.....so sad. I can't wait to try some of these recipes. I love to see what you guys are eating so I can dream about being a guest at your table again. One of the best meals I have ever had is your spaghetti!

Love all your new fun stuff, kitchen stuff is so thrilling to buy. I kinda love it. You can just go ahead and make this a weekly post would you? Or monthly at the very least, I love your ideas!

Danielle said...

thank you for your shampoo suggestions! i will try them and let you know :)

and YUM! i can't wait to try some of these recipes...i LOVE sur la table...that place just makes me happy (even if i don't buy anything!) cute purchases!

Kris said...

Wow...that is a lot of good eatin! And I can testify that the it is goooood! Because I was lucky enough to have the refried beans, and nachos dinner. And they were to die for. And I was there today for a cup of oat/cinnamon tea and those wonderful nut butter bars. I love my new red tea towel, and I really, really, love that my girls are getting so into cooking!!! It is in our blood. It had to happen!!
XO Mumsy

Shannon said...

Really, Lobster Tails?? I'm sure you share all this good food and then end it with Lobster Tails as if we all aren't already starving now!

Thanks for sharing all these goodies with us. I'm trying to get rid of all the junk food as well and start eating healthy and non processed as much as possible.

Lauri said...

I'm going to have to pay more attention to what you're pinning. I was looking for something healthy to eat and found so many scrumptious desserts but found healthy entrees hard to come by. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

The Wallace Family said...

First, I love your new header! Super cute:) Second, I wish I had a husband that would try new things. My husband is so picky if I tried to change our way of eating he would become one skinny man! He eats, but he wouldn't eat the things that I would like to eat like that stuffed bell pepper. I really do want to make the lasagna roll ups..I could get him to eat those! And the bread oh I love my bread and that looks so yummy1 I wouldn't be able to make it because I would eat the whole loaf. I admire ya'll and your new eating habits! Have you tried the energy balls yet? They are so yummy! I bet you all would like them! Have a great Valentine Day!

Heather said...

Pinterest is so awesome for recipes. It helps a lot. I want a bread maker now. Those lasagna roll ups look so good. Definitely trying them.

lori said...

i love seeing what you're eating as well!! i need to look into reading and learning more about nutrition as well... and i want a breadmaker... so if any of your clients offer another one, ill give you my address to send it to, mmkay? ;)

lori said...

ohh! meant to tell you that i LOVE your new header... you look beautiful in that picture :)

and im pinning a few of these recipes and book recommendations :)

Katie @ minivan diva said...

I always love your food posts! God finds at Sur la Table!

Katie @ minivan diva said...

Um, that's good finds....

Kerri said...

You are a cooking machine! I thought I liked to try new things...but you have me beat! For the last 12 married years, I have tried to make 1 new recipe every week....I love trying new things. I will definitely be coming back to this post for recipes! No imersion blender here. :( Love your new basket! And LOVE your new header!

Holly said...

I'm so glad you did this post on food and hope you do more. I'm really trying to make healthier choices so from now on, you are my mentor, like it or not. I need an immersion blender. You didn't happen to buy two and plan on having a giveaway with only one participant did you?

Kelly said...

Hey Genn! I have somehow out-smarted my IT dept at work, I guess. I could never comment before and all of the sudden its not blocked anymore. :) Yay!
Anywho, wanted to tell you that I honestly think you must be Super Mom...between working, two girls, and all this yummy cooking you do. I wish we had a Trader Joe's down here in Ms, maybe I'd get motivated! :)

Kelli said...

You are doing an amazing job and I love that you are sharing this information. I need to get it together and start doing my own research and making better changes for our family. Those pinto beans look delicious!!! Thanks again Genn.

Lauren said...

Yum...I'm inspired! I need to red some of your foody books and try new recipes! Ok..off to chug down the rest of my latte ( I'm thinking NOT too healthy...it's a skinny though)... And walking down to trader joe's now! Happy love day, girlie!

Nicolle said...

Too funny....guess what we had for dinner last night...the cauliflower crust pizza. We LOVE it! My mom was here and she requested it. I didn't know you make it too. :) How long have you been making it? We discovered it about a year ago, and it's so good. I just buy a small bag of frozen cauliflower, let it sit out and thaw, and use a big knife and chop away. It takes about 10 minutes for me to get it just right though. I also cook it on parchment paper, and it's perfect every time.

We love crockpot pinto beans here too, and quinoa. :)

I guess we need to watch Forks Over Knives. I've heard a lot about it. When I cut out processed foods last year, which apparently I've slipped on now, I did feel SO much better.

Love the thing about kids, from Pinterest!!

happy valentine's day.

Nicole @ Nicole Clark blog said...

Thanks for the food ideas. I get so bored with what I make . Pinterest does have some great ideas. Speaking of pinterest,! You should get a email from me that inam followering. Just not a famous name. Ha ha! Have a great valentines day!

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I've already tried the breakfast cookie, woa...SO filling!

I wonder if Noah would dig the hot dogs with spagetti, did you do any sauce or anything?

I'm going to make the lasagna roll ups fo sho! Thank you for re-inspiring me with clean eating.

Happy hearts Day Sister!

P.s. I feel 7 years old with envy b/c I want to reach in your blog & grab that basket from Sur La Tab & take off sprinting.

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I've already tried the breakfast cookie, woa...SO filling!

I wonder if Noah would dig the hot dogs with spagetti, did you do any sauce or anything?

I'm going to make the lasagna roll ups fo sho! Thank you for re-inspiring me with clean eating.

Happy hearts Day Sister!

P.s. I feel 7 years old with envy b/c I want to reach in your blog & grab that basket from Sur La Tab & take off sprinting.

Barb said...

I'm in love with this post. I'm for sure going to give some of those recipes a try. Now I'm feeling super guilty for making spaghetti last night (I did make it with whole wheat pasta and ground turkey), and then prepared tater tot hotdish and put it in the fridge to pop in the oven tonight. Holy carb overload! You are inspiring me to eat better.

And Love the new header!

Susanne said...

thank you so much for doing this! i would love if you did this every so often--i thought it was very interesting!
i have read food rules and am about to start the other ones. i am on the waiting list at the library for forks over knives. my chiropractor let me borrow food, inc. and that was quite eye-opening too. have you seen it?
i'm planning to try some of your recipes this week--don't think i could get my husband to go for the cauliflower pizza--but will do some of the other ones!
love all of your goodies from sur la table. i have one right up the street from me and have never been--i better go!

Nicole said...

I'm reading "The 150 Healthiest Foods" to get a better grip on what foods carry the most nutritional bang and it is SO informative. I just read a few of the listings at at time and then we try them out. I cannot wait to get my garden going this Spring.

Can't wait to check out that documentary and the books. The Omnivores Dilema changed the way I eat forever.

Sandy said...

I loved this post! Thanks for sharing your recipes... so many look soooo good!! I just saw Forks Over Knives a couple of weeks ago!! Although I didn't watch the end. :-/ I need to pick it up to finish it. So so so interesting and eye opening. Happy Valentine's Day! My valentine and I are having lobster tails for dinner tonight! :)

Jill said...

Forks over knives is a wonderful movie, i've listed it before along with Food Inc and others. We avoid processed foods here too and try to live an eat clean lifestyle. I like some of the recipes you shared! Thanks! Have a great night!

Blessings,
Jill

WendyWarren said...

Genn, you are so fun! I love every one of your posts and all the personality you put into them! Thanks so much! Love your blog! We are trying to eat healthier in our home as well...well, I'm kinda forcing it, but a Mom has to do what a Mom has to do!! ;)

Holly said...

I am so glad that someone asked you about your recipes- you do inspire me to go more organic and to get more creative in the kitchen- thank you! P.S Any chance you can post the granola bar recipe? :) Holly @ Pink Lady

Janna said...

Glad I just read your post cuz I'm about to make my TJs list and head out. THANK YOU for posting all this. I too am working to eliminate processed foods from our diet. LOVE your TJs hot dog skewer ideas. Too cute! I just love your posts. Even the long ones are worth the time because you always have a plethora of good info.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga said...

thanks for linking up my blueberry banana oat cakes...glad you're enjoying them.

all the other eats look awesome, too!

Katie said...

That is an Excellent Book!! You should look into a movie, Food Matters! There is so much to be said for the food that we eat!

Hope you enjoyed a delicious Lobster Dinner with your husband!

Katie said...

That is an Excellent Book!! You should look into a movie, Food Matters! There is so much to be said for the food that we eat!

Hope you enjoyed a delicious Lobster Dinner with your husband!

Gloria Baker said...

Hi dear, hope you had a nice Valentines, all look amazing!! gloria

mel @ the larson lingo said...

This post is making my stomach growl...I am SO hungry!!! Must go eat my lunch, although it is boring compared to this food post :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...