I think sometimes we don't always tell people how we feel about them, and we should. We just don't know if we might get the opportunity again to tell someone how special you think they are. Or how their influence in your life meant so much to you.
A while back, I had blogged about a bad day I was having. And then later wrote about perspective. I found out that my bad day, really wasn't a bad day at all. I discovered that a wonderful former high school teacher of mine was battling an inoperable form of cancer.
I was lucky throughout my years of schooling, because I had many great teachers. This one in particular stood out above the rest. I wanted him to know how I felt, and to thank him for being that kind of a teacher and role model for me, and to tell him that I am praying for him and his family everyday. But I wasn't sure how.
Months went by, and I continued to think about him often, and pray for him often. I hear him occassionally doing the school announcements at the high school across from my house. But he didn't know that I thought of him so much.
I wanted to write him a letter, and let him know what kind of impact he had on me in high school. Let him know what a fun and cool teacher I thought he was. Let him know that I am so sorry to hear about his illness. But I wasn't sure how.
I have lost 3 people that I loved dearly to cancer. It is an awful disease. I pray that one day there will be a cure for it. It is a very scary word to me. I don't like to think about it. I don't like to hear about it. And now I know of this teacher, who meant so much to me, that is now battling it too. I wanted to write him, but I just did not want my letter to sound like a goodbye letter. So I wrote nothing. But prayed for him often.
Then recently Patrick Swayzee lost his battle to cancer. I was really sad about his death. He seemed so strong and upbeat throughout it all. Just like how I've heard my former teacher has been handling his battle. With the upmost optimism possible. When Patrick Swayzee's passing was announced, it just hit me that we don't have an endless amount of time to tell people how we feel about them. And I wanted Mr. Sawaya to know how I felt.
So I wrote him a letter.
I called my Mom to read it back to her, and I cried.
She said it sounded very nice. So I put it in an envelope, and my Mom's neighbor who works with Mr. Sawaya said she would personally hand it to him.
I wasn't sure if he would remember me. After all it was 12 years ago that I was in one of his classes. I included a picture of me and my family to jog his memory if need be.
He told my Mom's neighbor that he read my letter, and of course he remembers me, and would I please call him at the school.
I called him today.
He said Gennifer, can I say something? I just want to say THANK YOU. Thank you so much for your letter and your words. That really means so much to me.
He told me that letting people know how you feel is something that sometimes is not said until it is at their funeral. And that for him and his family, through this "health opportunity" that is the biggest thing he has learned, is to tell people how you feel about them because you just never know when your next chance might be.
Even now he is a prime example for me to learn by. His optimism and positive attitude amaze me. I could only hope that I would react in such a way if I were him.
He thanked me for my letter, and also told me that I was a great and memorable student for him. He even reminded me of something that I had forgotten about. My freshman year of history with Mr. Sawaya, he made a bet with our class that we all had to achieve a certain grade, and if the whole class did it, he would eat a can of cat food. Our class won the bet, and Mr. Sawaya ate the cat food! I had completely forgotten about that. He was a fun teacher.
Not everyone is lucky enough to have a teacher that leaves such a lasting impression on them. I'm so glad that I did.
Who in your life has made such an impact on you? Do they know how you feel?
You should tell them.
14 comments:
Genny,
Mr. Sawaya will always remember your kind words and I know how special it must have made him feel to know that he had left such an impression on you. He remains in our thoughts and prayers, and maybe by you writing this post, others will reach out and tell that special someone who has made a difference in their life! What an uplifting post!!!
Sometimes it is difficult to tell those who mean the most to us how much we care about them. But I'm sure you're glad and I'm sure Mr. Sawaya is glad you did that while you have the opportunity. Thanks for sharing!
Good for you for writing the letter. I would have "meant to" for ever, but put it off.
Thanks for the reminder.
That was really nice of you Genn. I am not really good at putting things into words, I need to get better at it. I also hope that I can impact one of my students someday the way he impacted you.
How incredibly Kind of you Gennifer!!! I bet Mr. Sawaya will treasure that letter and phone conversation forever! I wrote in the front of my prayer journal "something happens when I pray, that doesn't......when I DON'T!! Your teacher appreciates your Prayers & your Uplifting Encouragement more than you can imagine! Way to take the time out of your day to encourage someone in need today & way to go for posting it. It's a great reminder of what we all should be doing DAILY!!! ;)
When I read the first sentence of thispost I thought it was going to9 be about me! ... totally kidding!
I never knew Mr. Sawaya, but he sounds great. And I think it's awesome that you wrote that letter. I'm sure it had a huge impact on him, as it did on you as well.
I hope he can pull through. Many prayers go out to him.
This was REALLY good Genn. And I think it's true of all us sometiomes more than we would think. It's easy to tell those we live with (our husbands, kids etc.) how much we love them, but not so easy when it comes to others. Writing him a letter was such a GOOD idea and let you put on paper just how you were feeling. And for a teacher I am sure there is no greater reward than KNOWING how much he influenced one of his students. How wonderful for him that you took the time to follow the nudging of your heart to do so. So many times we ignore those nudgings and miss a real blessing. Thanks for sharing this, it put a smile in my heart, Debbie
Genn, What an amazing post. It gave me the chills. I just love all your posts, the way you put your feelings into words is truly a gift. Thank you for reminding me of something that is so important and inspiring me to do the same.
Very powerful post :) It was nice catching up with you the last couple of days too! It seems like we all talked about alot of things that we had to put into perspective!
Genny,
What a heart felt post. I had tears at the end. I bet you made him feel so special and it is true. To be in the now and let your feelings be known that at someone's funeral. I remember at my uncles 70th b-day all of the family cousins, brothers and sisters made a big circle and each and everyone of use said a little something about my uncle baldy. He was speechless and tearing up. My dad was in tears at the end when it came time for him to say something. My uncle then said it was so nice for people to speak of him in this way and even greater that he got to hear everyone speak about him. There was a song that he loved and that I downloaded later and it was called "In the living Years" It is such a great song. Love, Anita
What a great post Genn. You must be so happy that you wrote that letter and it sounds like it really touched him. At first I thought you were going to say that he passed before you had the chance to write the letter and when I read more, I was so happy to hear the ending. This post definitely made me smile!
Great post Genn! Do you know that I have a letter sitting in my drawer that I wrote to Mr. Sawaya years ago. He is such and amazing man who has made such a positive impact on soo many.
You have inspired me to send it... thanks Genn
Question: One of the assignments I like to do with my 8th graders is called The Gift of Writing--might I be able to share a few words from your post so they can hear the impact of what a gift like this can do? I think it would add so much more to the assignment-Thanks!
Post a Comment