I am.
I wonder if these two will also turn into their mother?
My Mom has always loved to cook.
I grew up having delicious home cooked meals nearly seven days a week.
I never took much interest in cooking until I had my own family.
When I moved out of the house with my best friend at 19, I thought knowing how to toast a bagel would be suffient kitchen skills.
When I got married my mom desperately wanted to teach me several of her staple meals that she had always made (that I am sure her mother taught her).
I did try, but to be honest I was more interested in building my wardrobe than I was in building my recipe rolodex.
my first homemade french bread loaf.
(o.m.g. I could have eaten the whole thing myself)
When I registered for my wedding, I had absolutely no idea what kind of dishes or china I wanted. I was 21 years old. I knew nothing about that stuff.
My Mom helped me select a pretty pfaltzgraff pattern of dishes, but really what I wanted to do, was take that registry gun two departments over to the handbags and juniors department and scan anything and everything that caught my eye.
If only I could register again.
If my now 30 year old self could speak to my 21 year old self standing there in the home department of JCPenney, I would tell her this:
One day Gennifer you are going to love cooking and providing healthy meals for your family just as much as your mother has enjoyed providing them for you.
One day you might actually save up your money to buy dishes and kitchen gadgets just as you have seen your mom do so many times.
One day you might make bread in a bread maker, just like your mom.
One day you just might find yourself standing in your own kitchen, with your young daughters sitting on their knees at the island barstools trying to watch you prepare dinner, and asking you questions about the new dishes you just bought at Kohl's,
and you will think to yourself, I have turned into my mother.And you will smile to yourself, because you know that turning into your mother is not a bad thing at all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now for some random weekend stuff:
I worked all day Saturday and Mr. H took the girls to one of Hannah's friends birthday parties.
It was at Pump It Up. Which is basically different bounce house type stuff in different rooms, and the last room is cake and ice cream and presents. It's really kind of genius for kids parties. Except for the germs. You know I'm such a germaphobe. They didn't mind the germs one bit though. Claire kept up with those 5 year olds no problem.
Sunday we were most productive.
Mr. Hass finished painting the playroom. It is aqua and brown now. (pictures soon. maybe. if i ever get it organized in there again.)
He also did a massive clean out of
I cleaned.
Went to Kohl's and bought my fun new turquoise fiesta ware.
Went to B&N with a gift card and bought these two books...
I can't wait to make some of Jamie's recipes. I'm a big fan of his.
I also can. not. wait. to dive into Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.
It is Barbara Kingsolver's first nonfiction about her family's pledge to eat locally for an entire year. It is part memoir and part journalistic investigation. I'm so excited to read it.
With a beautiful green salad from the farmers market.
I am officially on twitter now.
Not because I wanted to tweet (although I might),
but because a client was telling me how she follows people like Jamie Oliver and Michael Pollan.
Jamie shares a lot of recipes it seems, and Michael Pollan mentions lots of good food info and articles he has written.
I'm also following Ellen.
And Oprah.
You know, the important people.
My twitter name is GennDoesHair in case you want to follow me.
;)
Speaking of Michael Pollan, in case anyone is interested I wanted to share this really great FAQ article in the New York Times that he recently wrote.
From that article I wrote down the dirty dozen and clean fifteen food lists. The dirty dozen are the twelve plants that have the highest amount of pesticides when grown industrially and these are the most important foods we should buy organic. The clean fifteen, obviously, are the foods grown with the least amount of pesticides and it's ok to not buy these organic.
I've got this in my crockpot today...
I'm making cinnamon apple butter.
8 gala apples
1 T cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
juice of one lemon
and about 4 cups of organic apple juice made with no sugar
My house smells amazing.
Hope you are having a good Monday.
Claire is sleeping (and has a cold),
Mr. H and Hannah went to watch the Globetrotters on a date today,
and I have a sore throat (caught the kids cold) and am off to rest my weary head.









27 comments:
i love this post. i have too realized as i get older, i am turning into my mother as well. and its definitely NOT a bad thing.
your new dishes are SOOOO cute. i love them.
hope you and claire get to feeling better!
Hi...it's me...Mom. Can you hold on a second? I need to go grab a tissue to mop up my leaking eyes!!!!
Okay, I am back. This one really got me! You are so right. I remember when you got married, how much you wanted register for purses and shoes!!! I thought it was funny, but I did secretly hope that you would find yourself interested in the fine art of domesticity. When I married, at 19, I didn't register at all. Oh how I wish I had. But people grow up, and change, and tastes change too. Oh you know I want to run out and buy my new Fiesta ware right now too. But I am putting it on my birthday wish list!!! LOVE yours. Your crock pot looks yummy. I thought I smelled cinnamon when I drove past a couple of hours ago.
Love you!
Mumsy
PS Hope you feel better soon. And I hope the girls Boo-Boo's that they got over here this morning are okay.
Can't wait to hear how Hannah liked her date with Daddy.
I am always inspired (and hungry) after I read your post on food.
Turning into our moms is a good thing. I am the same way with cooking and clean eating. I remember not caring at all, but now I scour Pinterest and the internet for recipes and find myself in the kitchen more than I'd ever imagined. Your fiesta ware is so cute. Love the color! Hope you and the kids feel better soon!
How adorable is your mommys comment above ;)
Your little girls will grow up to find themselves just like their mama no matter how much they try not to. It happens and like you said it aint' so bad!
Love the color of the plate set you picked up, how pretty are they gonna look piled high with all the healthy food you've been making.
Hope you get better soon!
I don't think its such a bad thing to turn into your mother! I think its great! I love those dishes....like a lot! They would not match my kitchen at all!
I'm glad you got a twitter! I did too a while back and I actually am into tweeting now! I do follow some important people and Ellen is hilarious! I follow her and usually laugh at least once a day! Hope you and the baby Claire get to feeling better soon! I had that nastiness a few weeks ago and its no good!
If you want to read randomness that has absolutely no relevance to your life (or mine for that matter) you can follow me @lambo405
What a sweet tribute to your mom! I love Jamie oliver too! Hope you are feeling better and have a wonderful week!
Blessings
Jill
Too cute, Genn! I laugh, because just the other day, I did something.....and thought to myself....Oh, my gosh....I am my mother! :) It's funny how we turn out that way. I agree I would love to register again. I think after so many years of marriage, you should get presents again. :)
take care! ps...i always love to see what your cooking up.
jodi
That first pic is so sweet...love how Claire is looking at Hannah. So sweet what you said about becoming your mom....I think it happens to many of us...whether we like it or not! ;)
Love the color of your dishes!
I strive to be just like your mother too. Love the new dishes! I have Fiestaware in Turquoise, yellow, tangerine and blue. I mix and match them all, and I bought them all at garage or estate sales. Love the Fiestaware! Also, yesterday Kohl's had their Cuisanart hand blender on sale for $29.00 and I had $20 in Kohls cash. Got the aqua one!! See I want to be like you too.
I strive to be just like your mother too. Love the new dishes! I have Fiestaware in Turquoise, yellow, tangerine and blue. I mix and match them all, and I bought them all at garage or estate sales. Love the Fiestaware! Also, yesterday Kohl's had their Cuisanart hand blender on sale for $29.00 and I had $20 in Kohls cash. Got the aqua one!! See I want to be like you too.
I loved the Kingsolver book! All your reviews are making me want to get to the library and check these out!
Just had to share that I read the "animal, vegetable, miracle" book last summer... EXCELLENT! it's a really great read! love your blog.... :)
i LOVE your aqua fiesta ware!! adorable.
i think it's all about the season of life we're in...good home cooked healthy meals are important for little people (and big people too;) i really enjoy cooking, i just wish i had a lot of time to devote to it like i used to. but i'm always on the hunt for fast and healthy dinner recipes, so thanks for sharing some of yours! i made the chicken lasagna roll ups last week. YUM!
I had no idea about those dirty foods. Makes me think twice. I LOVE your new Fiesta Ware. I'm a big fan of it. We've had a set since we got married, and I still love it. We have 4 different colors. I keep wanting to add a serving bowl or s&p shakers or something. Looks like your girls loved the bounce house. Boyd loves those places, and yes, I think about the germs too! :)
Love your new fiesta ware it's so pretty and such a great color. Eric got me a few more sets for Valentines Day. It makes unloading the dishwasher almost fun right!
Thanks for that list of foods with the most pesticides that is so good to know. I kind of agonize at the store about what to buy organic and what we can do without. That is very helpful.
Love all these cooking posts right up my alley!
I love your new plates! I just got new bathroom towels in that color! It's so fun and springy!
That apple cinnamon butter looks delish I could only imagine how your house smells.
We made pizza on Sunday night for the first time, yours looks much better... I think well have to keep trying!
xoxo
I love your Fiesta ware!! My mom always complains about my plain white dishes... and I tell her that anytime they bother her enough to replace them, I would love to start collecting Fiesta!! ;)
I love your new header... and your pictures are awesome as always!
I feel the same way about bounce houses and play houses... YUCK!! But my kids love them!
My mom never cooked healthy, she is the queen of home cooking-- so I fight betwenn jumping outside of my comfort zone and making healthy dinners that my hubby will most likely turn his nose to... or cooking like my momma and getting fat!
I still need to try and make bread!
Turning into your mom is a good thing, isn't it? Your mom is a wonderful woman!
Love your fiesta ware. I have some of the original pieces and colors from the 40's. I LOVE them. They belonged to my grandmother.
Fiestaware is what I asked for for our tenth anniversary--romantic, right? It's just in ten years we haven't lost even one place setting from our original--so I feel kind of guilty!! I will get over it quickly, I'm sure: )
I can't find you on Twitter--not sure what I am doing wrong. I'm @EverydayEO
From what you've posted about your mom you must be turning into a fabulous lady :) Wouldn't it be nice to re-register! Ooh, I needed that list! I need to print it off and put it with my grocery list. I can smell that crock pot through the computer. I hope you all feel better.
Hi Genn,
Funny how we all turn into our mothers! Even if we don't want too. It just happens. Good thing you have a great mom to turn into. Mine is not so bad either. ;) Although there are some things my hubby hope I don't do like my mother. HAHAHA
Girls are getting so big, I haven't blogged in a while but I think I am back to it. Or at least trying.
Happy wednesday to you!
Traci
You know it! The older I get the more I think that, too. I always took for granted the homecooked meals. I didn't really make an effort to cook until we'd been married a couple of years. Now I spend a long time looking at all-clad cookwear and oohing and aahing over dream kitchens on pinterest. I'm not on twitter but I think I'd like it for the very same reasons that you do. Can't wait to make the cinnamon apple butter.
Hope you feel better!
You are too cute...I would say turning into your mama sounds like a pretty good thing. From what i hear about her, she sounds pretty amazing.
So you got some Fiesta Ware huh, my mom and sisters all have it and i just can't seem to get into yet. Maybe someday. Love your turqoise though, very pretty...and very you!!
Great post because it is so true! My mom is great at sewing and cooking and always wanted to teach me both. I had NO interest! Now that I am a mom boy do I wish I could sew and cooked better!
By the way I love your new dishes!!
Look at you Ms. Betty Crocker! And your making apple butter. Reminds me of my Memaw. As for turning into your mother...you're so lucky to have such a great one to turn in to. Your mom ROCKS!!!
Post a Comment