Thursday, October 20, 2011

I think I might be a grown up now

Yup.
It's true.
I think I am indeed officially a grown up now.
Because...


 ...on Wednesday I defrosted the first chuck roast I have ever purchased...
and this morning,
 along with the help of P-Dub, and a couple (alright maybe 6) phone calls to my mother,
I think I have successfully prepared my first pot roast!
Look at that hunkin' piece of meat.  How can it not be intimidating?
I was nervous about making sure I defrosted it properly.
(and I will fill you in on the fact that I had a slight dilemma with the defrosting procedure.  You see, I bought a two pack of chuck roast at Sam's Club on Monday and stuck it in the freezer because I wasn't cooking it until Thursday.  When I took them out to defrost one and keep the other in the freezer, they were frozen together.  Solidly frozen together.  And I had already opened and destroyed the packaging, and the double wide chuck roasts would not fit into a large ziploc, so if I couldn't get them seperated what was I to do?!
I called my mother, that's what I did.  And she said well, you have quite the dilemma.  I eventually seperated the two pieces by chiseling through the frozen tundra of meat with a knife while carefully and skillfully not chopping off my arm.)
I browned the onions and carrots first.
Like my mother does.
Then I took those out of the pot.
Then I stuck my seasoned and floured piece of meat in the hot pot and I seared it on both sides.
Like my mother does.
P-Dub does this too, but I used the flour which she doesn't use,
because,
well, because, my mother does.
 Then I put the carrots and onions back in.
Sprinkled in some rosemary all chef like.
Poured in some beef stock.
Put the lid on, and stuck her in the oven.
I was quite proud.
I. Have. Made. Pot. Roast. (meant to be said just as Tom Hanks says "I have made fire" while pounding his chest in the movie Castaway.) 

Then I scrolled back through P-Dub's directions on her blog and after searing the roast, she took it out of the pan and poured in a little bit of red wine and beef stock and scraped the yummy goodness from the meat off the bottom of the pot.
Uh oh.
I didn't do this.
So with my roast in the oven, I called my Mom.
Again.
And said, "Mom, should I have done that? Scraped the yummy bits off the bottom before putting everything back into the pot???"
She said yes.
Woops.
Then she said it's not too late, do it now.
So ...
I made a mad dash for the wine rack.
Grabbed the first bottle that made sense (mad housewife tries to make her first pot roast).
I pulled my roast out of the oven,
lifted the meat up, and scraped the yummy bits off the bottom as best as I could,
poured a bit of vino into the pot, and back in the  oven she went.
 Please turn out good.
Please turn out good.
Please turn out good.
Pray for my pot roast? 

:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another food note,  I was flipping through my HG book and a recipe jumped out at me.
It's called, I can't believe it's not sweet potato pie
the recipe calls for butternut squash as the main ingredient.
no sweet potatoes.
This is what it looked like at one point.
And this was the end result...
 And it was goooooooooood!
I loved it.
Next time I will try to make the top prettier.
I'm an amatuer at browning marshmallows ok.
It was also super easy.
113 calories a serving and 5g of protein.
Here's the recipe if anyone is interested:

1 large butternut squash seeded and diced (I bought two bags of chopped butternut squash from TJ's)
1/2 c. liquid egg substitute
1/3 c. light vanilla soymilk
1/3 c. sugar free maple syrup (I used organic pure maple syrup)
1/4 c. splenda (I used stevia)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup miniature marshmallows

preheat oven to 350.
steam squash in 1/2 in ch of water in micro for 8 minutes.
drain water and mash thoroughly (i threw it in the food processor, but still left it a bit lumpy).
Put in baking dish.
Add in all ingredients except for marshmallows and mix together.
Bake for 45-50 minutes until solid and not liquidy.
Top pie with marshmallows and return to oven for five minutes or until marshmallows begin to brown.

Try it!
It's yummy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And since this post has been all about food,
a picture of the items I used to put together such an easy meal on Monday night... 
I toasted the buns.
Added a little mayo,
heated the cooked pulled pork in micro and added to buns.
Topped with cabbage and it was drip down your arms good.
Served with sweet potato fries and honeycrisp apple slices with nutella for dippin'.
SO simple and yet SO good.

I bought these today.
Yikes.
That picture makes my mouth water.


Okay, that's it for now.
I'll fill you in on the pot roast results.
So far it smells AHHHH-mazing.
What have you been cooking lately????

24 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

Guess what I made that exact pot roast two weeks ago for Sunday dinner! Well maybe not the exact cause you know no wine but pretty darn close. I used P dubs recipe and it was fantastic, Eric was in heaven. He loves pot roast, his mom makes a killer one that I have never been able to perfect, but this one came mighty close!

Good luck friend, I bet it turns out just heavenly. Wishing I was eating that tonight too! Congrats on becoming a grown up!

{cindy} said...

Dave makes an awesome pot roast!! he uses P-Dubs recipe, and then adds his own flare of course! Super yummy!!
I made pumpkin bread...does that count?
enjoy dinner and have a happy day

Katie @ minivan diva said...

You always make me laugh. Your easy meal is our version of dinner every night. I bake. I don't cook.

Cozart Family said...

Laughing laughing laughing! You cracked me up. Yay for first pot roast, they are really easy to make and I have never had one fail me yet. I will take your moms advice and coat with flour, never heard that before but I bet it helps to thicken up the sauce for making some YUMMY gravy! PERFecT choice of wine to add! HAHAHA funny stuff I tell ya, funny stuff.

I am going to make those sweet potatoes my hubby would LOVE that. Thanks for sharing.

And Mondays dinner = YUMMY. What a great idea for quick and easy. Never even thought about doing that. I always buy the pork cook it in the crockpot all day shredded it myself, what have I been thinking all this time?

MMM, Caramels one of my faves!! Enjoy.
Oh by the way thanks for the sweet comments. =)
Traci

Emily said...

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who calls their Mom six times when they're cooking something new : )

Shannon said...

we will be over for dinner in about an hour ;)
I'm sure it's going to come out perfect. Your meal you made Monday sounded delicious and I've been eating those caramels constantly, so good!

Kris said...

My Mom makes amazing pot roasts! I learned from her. You girls from me. It has to be amazing! I wish I could smell it too.
And that squash recipe was to die for good. I love Hungry Girl books! She caters to the sweet tooth!!!
Pulled pork sounds good too. I must be hungry!!!
Yummy post!

lori said...

soo funny! hope your pot roast turns out great! you sound like me doing it how my mom does it ;) i call her all the time with stupid cooking questions.

and im going to have to try that HG "sweet potato pie" recipe... love her stuff... but i may be a tough critic... i have a serious love for sweet potatoes.

Nicole @ Nicole Clark blog said...

I would be scared to death to make pot roast like that. Anything fancy I always seem to mess up. I am sure it tasted wonderfull. Love the food post.

Thiago & Teri said...

You are my favorite...this is hilarious. I have NEVER made a pot roast...I am afraid, of that and a turkey. Someday, someday...you have inspired me. Everytime I make one of my moms recipe's, I end up calling her like 8 times. I am sure she is on the other end of the line, rolling her eyes at me. But oh well, you gotta learn somehow. Thanks for making me laugh cute girl...loved this.

Kerri said...

You are too funny! I loved the movie castaway! :) I hope your pot roast turned out amazing...it sure looks perfect in your pot!

I love sweet potatoes...and I often make sweet potato french fries. Your squash recipe looks so yummy! Often when we are out to eat (b/c there aren't any calories then...) I order a loaded sweet potato...it's more like dessert! Thanks for sharing your recipes!

Darlene said...

Oh, how I want to cook something. Our kitchen has been out of commission (totally gutted) since July. That's right. No kitchen. Just eating out A LOT and doing some grillin'. Can't wait to try that sweet potato in disguise treat!

Stacey said...

Mmmmm pot roast is my fave!!! I bet it turned out fabulous :) And, those caramels?? I need some asap.. haha

Lauri said...

Funny that I felt like a grown up the first time I made pot roast too. It seemed so extravagant for a young family at that time.

Mrs. Dunbar said...

You are definitely a grown up now. Where is that pulled pork in TJ's? Freezer section? I love how you always buy different stuff than me. I am adding pulled pork sandwiches to my menu for next week. Thanks.

Janna said...

Love your TJs ideas as usual, and I made the PW pot roast just last week. It was SO GOOD!!! You're not a grown up though - you're 8 years younger than me, so if you're a grown up then I'm an old lady.

kim said...

Genn,
I hope your pot roast came out great.. The pie looked yummy... I wish I had a dutch oven .. I think I'm gonna buy me one this year..They are so versitile.. I usually make my post roast in a slow cooker and make mashed potatoes and homemade gravy from the drippings.. Yum... I will be doing the home tour part 1 if you are interested come take a look. Hope you like it.. Thanks for your Comment..:)

Kerri said...

As far as my hair...I've been trying to wear it differently here and there...curling it, wearing a messy bun, etc. I think I may go shoulder length first....it's so scary to cut it all off at once!

PS. I don't think I would be able to handle caramels in a jar at our house!

Nicolle said...

Oh friend, you know I'm all about the food posts! :)) I love pot roast and make it all the time. I sure hope yours turned out well, I am sure it did! We buy the roasts from Sam's too, and I think they are the best, but they do stick together! I also really want a Le Creuset pot, but I'm trying to be frugal. ugh. BUT, I want one, bad. The caramels make my mouth water too. :) I love cabbage on my bbq sandwiches, and we love those sweet potato fries.

This has been a lazy week for me for cooking. I have made salsa and a couple of odds and ends, but we've had salads and sandwiches for about a week. I am determined to cook something yummy for dinner tonight!

Erin said...

Praying for you AND your pot roast!

You are very brave my friend.

Barb said...

I'm laughing AND hungry now, Genn! I have made several roasts in the crock-pot and they are always dry. Perhaps I'm leaving them in too long. ;) Eh. I should try your method.

Last night as I was reading this post, Nicholas was peeling carmels for carmel bars that I brought to work for a co-workers birthday.

Happy Day to you!

Barb said...

oh yeah...we get the pulled pork from TJ's and love it. Quick and easy, what's not to like.

Okay, I'm done now. :)

Sunny Simple Life said...

That does look good. I love to put them in the crock pot too but browning first is a must I agree. So great you have your mom to help you. I know she's a good cook so her advice is going to be spot on.

Kelli said...

Yeah for you and your first roast. I have my lap top out whenever I made something by PW. I think with PW and your mom on hand it is going to turn out lovely!!! My husband would love you and those caramels.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...