Friday, July 1, 2011

A Dilemma & A Giveaway


Hiya blog buds.
How's it goin?
 The temperature reached 100 here today.
First time this summer.
It was hot.
So we went to Target.
They keep it pretty cool in there.  ;)

I recently finished reading this book and wanted to tell ya'll about it.
 In my opinion it is a must read for everyone who eats.
So, yeah, that pretty much means everyone.
Now before you get turned off by it let me just say, it is not a diet book.
It is not a book about what not to eat. 
It is a book about where the food that you eat comes from.

"To eat with a fuller consciousness of all that is at stake might sound like a burden, but in practice few things in life can afford quite as much satisfaction.  By comparison, the pleasures of eating industrially, which is to say eating in ignorance, are fleeting.  Many people today seem perfectly content eating at the end of an industrial food chain, without a thought in the world; this book is probably not for them.  There are things in it that will ruin their appetites.  But in the end, this is a book about the pleasures of eating, the kinds of pleasure that are only deepened by knowing."
-Michael Pollan

Have you ever head of a CAFO?
It stands for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations.
I could not believe what I learned about cafo's.
You might want to know about them too.

I like how Michael Pollan does not ever seem pushy about what you should do or how you should eat, but he very honestly tells you the facts that his research has taught him. 

"Cows raised on grass simply take longer to reach slaughter weight than cows raised on a richer diet, and for half a century now the industry has devoted itself to shortening a beef animal's alloted span on earth."
-Michael Pollan

"Of the 38 ingredients it takes to make a chicken mcnugget I counted thirteen that can be derived from corn..."
"Mcnuggets also contain several completely synthetic ingredients, quasi-edible substances that ultimately  come not from corn or soybean field but from a petroleum refinery or chemical plant.
Dimethylpholysiloxene is added to the cooking oil to keep the starches from binding to air molecules. 
Dimethylpholysiloxene is a suspected carcinogen and an established mutagen, tumorigen, and reproductive effector; it's also flammable.  But perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a chicken mcnugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to "help preserve freshness".  TBHQ is a form of butane (ie lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food."
-Michael Pollan

"For as brief as it is, the life expectancy of a farm animal would be considerably briefer in the world beyond the pasture fence or chicken coop."
-Michael Pollan

"In biblical times the rules governing ritual slaughter stipulated a rotation, so that no individual would have to kill animals every day, lest he become dulled to the gravity of the act."
-Michael Pollan

"Pollan wants us at least to know what it is we are eating, where it came from and how it got to our table.  He also wants us to be aware of the choices we make and to take responsibility for them.  It's an admirable goal, well met in The Omnivore's Dilemma."
-The Wall Street Journal

I learned so very much from this book.
And I will forever be more thoughtful about where my food comes from.
If you read this (which I think you should!) hang in there during the chapter about corn.  I know that part can get a little long and intense, but power through and I promise you will LEARN. 
I read it with a highlighter by my side and highlighted anything that shocked or stood out to me.
If you read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now for a giveaway!!!!

Since I am on the subject of books...
I was cleaning out my books and discovered that I own TWO copies of my favorite book EVER.
One of the copies is brand new, never been read, and that, my friends, is the one I want to giveaway to one of you.
 Outlander.
Oh Outlander.
It is the best love story you will ever read.
I'm not kidding.
Just asky Holly.  Or Jenny.  Or Janna.  Or my Mom.
Yup, they will all tell you it's true.
Outlander is the first book in a series of 7 and the 8th is due out next year. 
It is a historical fiction that you will not want to put down.
So if you would like a chance to win this copy...

Just leave me a comment telling me what your favorite book that you have ever read is!

I will announce the winner on Monday evening.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you have a safe and happy 4th of July.
May you smile...
 laugh a lot...
go for a swim...
 and make a splash!

35 comments:

Kris said...

I guess I should read that book on foods. And YES...Outlander.....soooo good!!! Cute little girls in the pool!!!

Lauren said...

Ok, the food book is next on my list. I just bought my first ebook: slow deathly rubber ducky. It's about all the chemicals that surround us. Ya, over the top, but, I've already changed sunscreens, chapstick...little things. Have a wonderful 4th with your beautiful family!

Holly said...

Outlander is one of the very best books ever written in my opinion. Gabaladon can tell a wonderful story. The other book, I know it will freak me out if I read it, which I'm sure is the point. I'll have to think about that. The girls looks so cute!

Michele said...

The first book reminds me of Food, Inc. Is it the same guy? Have a great 4th weekend! It's hot here in TX, too :)

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh Outlander don't even get me started. I will be forever in your debt for introducing me to that series. I just finished the second last night (yeah I know I said I was going to a few nights ago, but I got tired). I can't wait to start the third, just thinking that I have 6 more to read makes me giddy with excitement. Do you get that way with a good book?

Well I won't enter your giveaway cause I already have the book. But my favorite book has got to be the Harry Potter series, seeing as how I have read them all 6 or 7 times. It's a boring answer I know cause I know that is a lot of peoples favorite but I love the characters so darn much. We have never talked about that, are you fan? Do you like the movies? Are you counting down the days for the last one like I am? Can't believe we have never discussed this! My problem is I don't branch out much, I love how you are always reading something new. I tend to reread my favorites over and over and over again.

Have a happy 4th, a boat parade that sounds fantastic. Oh and I do nothing to exciting to organize my pictures. Organize by date in picasa, pick out my favorites to print, I display a ton in my home and if I remember correctly so do you. Put the rest in albums, but oh that's a happy activity!

Gina said...

Hard to narrow down to just one favourite. The Time Travellers Wife was a book that after I finished reading it I could not stop thinking about it and lent it to everyone I know. I also love Michael Pollans books. His style of educating without preaching makes for a wonderful read.

Nicole @ Nicole Clark blog said...

I should read both those books. Finding time to do it is the tricky part! Love the girls swimming.

Anonymous said...

I will skip the book on food! But I do have a favorite book - it is The Ultimate Gift by Jim Stovall. Now this may all sound a bit corny but it is a short read that will touch your heart and soul permanently and help you realize what is the Ultimate Gift!
But other than that so many favorite books and authors! Ken Follett, Clavell, Michener, Dan Brown, Hillenbrand, etc., etc. But do read - and you will find your re-read - The Ultimate Gift!

Thiago & Teri said...

Yep, I've read Outlander...Jen told me about it and I got it on my Kindle. Sooo good. I won't participate in the giveaway since I already have it. However, I will say I am currently reading a book called Throne of Kings. I guess it is a series on HBO and they just turned it into a 4 series book. Super good. I am enjoying it.

Charlee said...

We are not big beef eaters(history of heart attacks at young age in our family my dad at 38) so I only eat beef thats super lean or steak. But yes I am not a fan of corn fed animals and mcnuggets are so gross(I got my kids eating chicken fingers that I make here at home) but yes we should think more about food!

Susanne said...

never read the outlander series. my favorite book ever is winter garden by kristin hannah. i just got back from vacation where i got 4 books read! i absolutely love to read :)

Danielle said...

i haven't read outlander but it sounds great! i have so many 'favorites' but i do love the silk vendetta by victoria holt.

Janene said...

I love the Redemption series by Karen Kingsbury!!! Day five in the RV...posting pictures soon: )

Kayla said...

hmmm favorite book....I really don't have an all time favorite but love alot of books:) Thanks for the chance to win the Outlander, it is next on my list to read:)

DeBran said...

I love reading! And love learning about food and its history, where it comes from. I just received Forks over Knives and am very excited to dig in to that one. No pun intended. Have you seen Food Matters. Amazing. Completely changed the way I eat. I will have to order the Omnivore's Dilemma...sounds awesome. I think my favorite book, currently is One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. :) Have a fabulous weekend!!

Anonymous said...

I would love to read Outlander! I need a good book! Now I just can't run out and buy it because I have to wait and see if i win:)) Happy 4th to you.

On a good eating note...luckily with this pregnancy I'm craving nothing but fresh fresh foods. I'll have to read that bood so it REALLY sinks in!

Cozart Family said...

Hi Genn,
My favorite book recent reads is PW! I love true stories and I love her!

I am so getting that book Omnivore Delemma, I read his other book, that was a fast read on foods. I like his approach too, it just seems honest and not pushy.

The girls looks cute splashing, laughing and smiling. We are having a blast at the river and just about to launch the boat to watch the fireworks show over head!

Oh my blog said I have to buy more memory for pictures? What is that? Is it legit?
Thanks, Traci

Jessica said...

I would have to say my favorite book that I have ever read and make a huge impact on me would be "To Kill A Mockingbird". Thanks for the giveaway. I LOVE, LOVE your blog!!

Jen Harrison said...

Gotta read that food book-can't believe the things they put in our foods!

My favorite author is Kristen Hannah and my favorite book from her is: Firefly Lane

walk of shame said...

I loved the Omnovire's Dilema...and I agree that the part about corn was kind of tough to get through...and I live in the corn belt. It is truly eye opening.

If you like The Omnivores Dilema I would suggest Fast Food Nation...that is an eye opener, too.

Barb said...

I loved the Outlander series,and can't wait for the next book! I will definetely add the food book to my list. I have read Michael Pollan books and I really like the simple way he writes and explains things.

The first two pictures of Hannah and Claire are so cute - such sparkly eyes they both have.

Have a great Fourth of July!

Sheri said...

My favorite book of all time..... Sam's Letter to Jennifer. Love that book. Loving your new pic - have a blessed 4th of July.

MissKK said...

My favorite book of all time is Pride & Prejudice....it is a wonderful book :) Way better then the movie..hehe! Have a GREAT 4th of July :)

jeanine said...

Both books seem really good. I have been looking for some good reads for the summer!

Mrs. Dunbar said...

best book... little women. i read it every december.

i'm going to order the food book.

what days does dos lagos have farmers market? i may try and make it this week.

looks like life is good.

like my 2nd grade sentences, with barely any punctuayion? i'm hold the sailor and typing.

MissKK said...

Gen...I love the color of your nail polish in the first picture :) What color is that??

Kerri said...

I love to hear what other people are reading...now I want to read those two books too!

Happy 4th!

Genn said...

MissKK- Thanks, it is My Private Jet by OPI

HowdyFromNYC said...

Favorite book?! It's so hard to choose - but I guess I'd say that The Road is the book that moved me the most.Hope you have a happy 4th!

lauren said...

hey genn! it has been really hot here too!! we've had a few nice afternoon showers some days though to cool things off a bit. wow the book about food looks really interesting! and i definitely going to save that one to my read list. ok, so my favorite book that i have ever read is the year of magical thinking... a sad story, but a true story that really keeps you on edge to see what is going to happen next. and thanks for the chance to win a copy of your fav book! hope you all are having a fun weekend!

heather lynn said...

ohhh...i am so looking for a good book to start...please pick me. love your blog too...adorable family:)

Sandy said...

Ohh I want to win a good book!! My favorite book... it's too hard to choose. And now my mind is blank! The most recent book I read is The 5 Love Languages. Pretty good read. I love your hair in that first picture by the way! :) Have a happy 4th!

Shann said...

Hey Genn, I think you should giveaway your dress and the book. :) What do you think? I really don't have a favorite book, but I love to read!! I need a new summer read!

Happy 4th of July!

Nicolle said...

My favorite book ever.....I think it has to be Gift From The Sea. It's just so powerful. I've read it 5 or 6 times.

Now I want to also read Omnivore's Dilemma!

ps.
I saw on your mom's blog about Hannah's stitches. I hope all is ok. You poor thing, I know that is so hard on the momma too! Sending you a big hug.

LORI said...

oh i have been looking for a new book to read =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...