Friday, October 21, 2011

Five for Friday & Big Hair Video Tutorial


Hello hello and happy Friday.
I am linking up with Janna over at Denim and Dandelions.
Today I am sharing five things.
One of which, some of you have been asking for from me for quite some time now...
The reason I am getting this posted so late (as in on Saturday) is because the special surprise I have for you, might have been recorded in HD with my fancy schmancy camera and took about five hours to upload to my computer!!! 

1.  First things first... just wanted you all to know that my pot roast that I made all by myself (alright and maybe with some help from my mother and P-Dub) turned out DEEEE-licious!  So tender, moist, flavorful, and melt in your mouth good.  I can't wait to make the other one that is in my freezer now.
If you were like me and scared of that big piece of meat, fear no more.  The pot roast is our friend ladies.  Easy, and yet I think still very impressive.  :)
I think I will be having leftovers for dinner tonight.  I'm kind of excitd about it.

2.  I know they say don't cry over spilled milk, but this morning I almost did.
Not the biggest deal I know.  But mornings just seem so crazy all the time.  Why is that?   Maybe because I'm usually the only one who can properly brush teeth around here, I don't know.

3.  I've had a couple questions about what kind of bronzer or tanner I use for my face.  I never tan my face, and in the winter I use self tanner in a bottle for my arms and legs sometimes, so of course I want my face to appear to have a natural and healthy glow too right?   These three things are my go to products to achieve that sun kissed look.
Nars bronzing stick- I think the color is called south beach.
Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer in sand. 
And my absolute favorite, Mac's bronzing powder in refined golden
(and of course my bronzer brush)

4.  Several people have asked that I post a video tutorial on how I make my hair so big.
Well guess what?
It's your lucky day.
I will admit I have been nervous to do a video blog.
It just sounded kinda scarier than regular blogging.
What if you think I sound weird?
What if you are disappointed in the video?
What if you notice my double chins as often as I did?
What if you think my bathroom is a mess?
What if you think my hair is too big? 
ha.  too big.  haha.
And it has honestly been hard to figure out how and when to do it.
BUT,
for you my friends,
I threw caution to the wind this morning and said here goes nothin'.
So,
please ignore the fact that I am tired and have gone to bed way too late every night this week and have sleepy puffy eyes.
And please ignore the fact that I am NOT a professional videographer and things might not always be in focus. 
Mmkay?

Oh, and please ignore the strange noises in the background,
the girls were playing with toys that sing and also had their cartoons on tv so you probably hear all sorts of weird things.

Oh and yes there is laundry all over my bed.  At least it's clean. 
Okay, here we go.  Video One:
note- sorry the size of the video is so small on my blog, but if you click on the bottom of the video once it has started to play where it says watch on you tube, it will be bigger.  :)


And roll tape again: Video Two:


Does anyone like seeing themselves on video??
Blah.
Not me.
I hope you did though.
Hope that answered some questions.
I will try my hand at this vlogging business again okay?
Maybe next time I'll be in focus. 
Or maybe it's better if I'm not.
Remember ladies,
the higher the hair, the nearer to heaven.  ;)

5.  Thanks for taking the time to watch my first video blog.
What did you think of it????


I hope you have a happy weekend.  Don't forget to smile a lot.
And wear your hair big.

Happy Hair Days!


54 comments:

Kristen said...

i love pot roast. especially in the fall. the leftovers are great. we often use the leftovers for french dip... yum! i don't think i have ever done a roast in the oven though. i always make it in the crock pot.

have a great weekend. go BSU!!!

Nancy said...

Oh Genn. You are rad! The PW pot roast is the bomb. I made it a few weeks ago. Delish and easy. Yay! I love your big hair phrase. I wish I had that phrase back in 1991 when I rocked that perm and bang look. I can't go too big now. I might look a little like Kid N' Play. Like the reference?? Happy weekend. xoxo

Janene said...

While you were commenting on my blog. . .I was watching yours!! Love the nearer to heaven comment!! That made me smile so big and laugh out loud! It would be funny to watch us viewers try this at home. Great videotaping!! Happy weeken.
P.S. Sam Adams Octoberfest is on sale at Rite Aid--

Cozart Family said...

Hi Genn,
The pot roast looks so yummy, made my mouth water. I usually make one at least twice a month during the winter, I use the left over meet to make shredded beef burritos for the next night ;) (I take all the veggies out and reheat the meat only in the original juice and its the BEST burrito you will every eat!) Another idea I use the left over meat and make a shredded beef stroganoff, to die for!

Great job on the video, I am going to try to make my hair a bit bigger on the crown of my head. I am always afraid to do that.

Happy Weekend to you,
Traci

Kris said...

Oh my, that was fun! I love your hair! It always looks so nice. You and Erika both. But me.....I wouldn't spend that much time on my hair. I am more of a fluff and go kind of gal. That's why my hair is good short!!!
Good Vlog post! Loved hearing my grandgirls in the background!

MissKK said...

Great Vlog :) You make it look so easy....I love your hair!!!

mygirl said...

i think i'm going to make pot roast this week. it looks so yummy and great job on your vlog.

Gloria Baker said...

I love always how you look dear! georgeous!!and the girls are sooo cute!
I love to use bronzer powder too,and your meal look amazing!! gloria

Mallory said...

Thank you for doing the vlog!!! I think I'm going to try it this weekend! {and you sounded just like I thought you would}.

Happy weekend!

Gloria Baker said...

I saw the video is absolutely nice! you are like my daughter she always look good! gloria
I love how the little talk! he

Janna said...

LOVE THE VIDEO!!! The end result is so cute. You make me want long hair. And the picture of your girls - how do you get them both looking so cute at the camera at the same time? Thanks for linking up and congrats on the pot roast :)

Diane said...

Big Hair.....Big Pot Roast.....

Love of hairspray
Love of pot roast

I think I better stick with the pot roast.

G-Ma

Eric and Jenny said...

This was so great, I always feel like I am right in the room with you chatting away when I read your posts, but no I really feel like I am right in the room with you!

Loved it you did such a great job, you seem so calm and put together I would have been a rambling mess. Love your hair and your commentary. Nearer to heaven had me laughing and you story of waking Jake. I could see how that would wake him up!

Shannon said...

lol,I spilled yogurt all over my floor this morning :(
I'll have to give P-dubs recipe a try now, it looked so good. Love your vlog, you look so cute as do those last 2 pics of your cutie patooties!!!
Have a great weekend!

Melissa said...

Laur Mercier tinted moisturizer...bomb! Have you tried the illuminating one? It is my favorite!!!!! And that hair...love it!

Katie @ minivan diva said...

I hate to admit it, but sometimes I feel like crying over spilled milk too.

HowdyFromNYC said...

Ahhh thank you thank you thank you!! This made my day. :)

Mrs. Dunbar said...

I like the fruit snacks part the best! Ha.


Good for you on this vlogging business. That's just taking blogging to a whole other level.

Next time if you need a model, I'm volunteering. (As a silent model ofcourse. I hate to listen to myself.)

Again, good for you Genn.

The Keyes Family said...

your video was cute and funny. nice job! You make it look so easy but i'm telling you i just come out a disaster everytime i tease my hair. LOL. Thanks for sharing!

Jodi said...

YaY, Yay!!! I love the vlog, Jen; you did a GREAT JOB!! :)

I am definately going to try this, I know i am not getting the hairspray on before I tease. And...I LOVE the Big Sexy Hair spray too; swear by it!!

Thank you so much! The girls are adorable!

Have a great weekend!
Jodi

Lauren said...

The hair video rocks! I'm gonna try it...probably have my hair as big as Canada...or the comb will get stuck! Ha! Wish me luch! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend, G!

Anonymous said...

i just adore you. adorable vlog, adorable family, just altogether ADORABLE. keep the videos coming!! :)

Summer said...

Thanks for the video, you did great! I think I might try it, but first I think I need to go buy a lot more hairspray ;)

agirlnamedmaria said...

When I was first introduced to your blog, you had me at "hair." It always looks so cute! The tutorial was great, but I gotta say, you are an artist and I am not. I don't think I have the skills or patience to do that...wow! I'm sure I'd have a few of those combs lost in my hair by the time it was over. I guess I'll just continue to have hair envy :o)

megan said...

L.O.V.E. your big hair! I'm gonna go to Sally's tomorrow for that comb. I think the one I have is too skinny = sad hair. Thanks for the tips!

Thiago & Teri said...

you look so cute on video..I know what you mean about hating how you sound though. i don't even like to hear my own voicemail...i sound all high pitched and weird. But you looked and sounded great. It was lots of fun. So glad that pot roast turned out so good. i never doubted you though, I knew it would be.

Anonymous said...

Im visiting your blog for the first time, how cute are you! I love the video blog, your hair tutorial was good to watch. I really appreciated seeing the clothes and where you purchased them. Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

I just left the comment above, I forgot to add that I found you from Erins blog, I was going to leave her a comment, and then got nosy....sorry! I dont follow blogs, Erin's is the only one I really make time for, she has so many great ideas and insight. Yours is nice too, but I just found out after poking around, that your not really comfortable with alot of strangers visiting your blog, I totally get that and am not offended. Anyway I wanted to give you peace of mind that Im a normal mom and wife who was looking at your blog, since you asked for people to leave a comment. Have a great weekend!

Genn said...

Hi Anonymous!
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment (or two) ;)
I am totally fine with strangers reading my blog (that's kind of what blogland is all about) I just appreciate that if the people who do read my blog leave me a comment from time to time to let me know they are there. Otherwise my mind wonders and sometimes I freak out worrying that maybe I shouldn't keep my blog open to the public. But I have learned that the majority of the people who are probably reading, are moms, or women with similar interests as mine and that is probably it.
So thanks so much for stopping by! And please don't think I don't want you coming back. Not at all. Come visit anytime!! :)

kim said...

Genn,
So glad your pot roast came out great.. Love the hair video..It may have taken me a looooong time to view it due to the interuptions of little ones but I did it... I will have to try ratting my hair.. I have never done it.. I always thought it damaged your hair... Guess I was wrong if you do it... Thanks for your comment.. Glad you like it... I too love how the Kitchen is open to the living space as well.. That way you are not stuck in the kitchen during a party/ everyone can gather around the bar. I soo hear you as well with the kids tearing up the house.. It took me a few days to get good shots of most of the rooms. I must sweep like 4 to 5 times a day around the table... :( Anyhow I could keep going but I will not bore you my friend.. Have a great Sunday....

krisalt said...

Loved the video blog - I have curly hair - which I straighten - about the same length as yours - I couldn't figure out how you were able to put yours up in such cute styles - this was GREAT!!! For the mornings I get up and head to the soccer fields and don't have time to wash my hair - I now have a new 'do! Also - I made PW's pot roast for the first time myself a couple of weeks ago too - it was a HUGE HIT in my house as well!

Thanks again for the vlog!

Kristin

Genn said...

Kristin- I'm so glad that you learned a new do from the video! You can really change that up depending on the length of your hair to. I went to leave you a comment on your blog but couldn't find it. You must not have one? Thanks for stopping by, and happy big hair days. :)

agirlnamedmaria said...

Thanks for checking out my blog. As you can see, I'm newbie. I thought I had linked up to Janna for 5 for Friday, but...oops...not so much. Btw, your daughters were so cute in the vlog. Not only did you create an awesome hairstyle, but you did it while opening fruit snacks without missing a beat!

lori said...

im so glad you posted a vlog! seriously. ive been trying to get some volume going on with my hair. and have wondered your technique :) im going to sallys to get a comb and good hairspray this week for sure. thanks!!

Amber said...

Genn I love your video! So cute and very helpful :) What kind of comb are you using and where did you buy it?? Have a great weekend~

Amber said...

Oops I made it through to the end of your second video, so I know what kind of comb you used now, haha. Thanks!

Kerri said...

LOVED your video!! I use a TON of hairspray too...and now I don't feel so bad knowing I'mnot alone! I love big hair too...and hopefully you'll do more videos of other styles! Super cute Genn!

Nicolle said...

Genn, you are so cute! The video was fun, and you would fit right in here in Texas with your big hair....which I LOVE! :)

I have been there with the spilled milk. Sorry. It stinks.

I'm so glad your pot roast turned out. It looks delicious in the photo.

Jill said...

Video turned out great! I remember when my sister and I used a ton of hairspray in the 80's for our culed hair and high bangs...my dad would complain because his feet literally would stick to the floor in the bathroom! LOL :-)

Your pot roast looks great! Perfect for the chilly weather!

Have a wonderful week.

Blessings,
Jill

Nicole said...

Thank You! You did a great job for your first vlog. Very helpful. Maybe You could do a video on a make up tutorial?

Genn said...

Nicole!
How are ya?? I miss ya. I was just thinking about you today and thought I should email you to say hello!

mommybeckley said...

Hi! My name's Lindsay and I stumbled upon your blog a few days ago. I have two girls around the same age as yours. :O)
Loved the video! I have fine hair and I always want to try and tease to add volume but I'm afraid I'm doing it wrong. The video was a big help. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow before work!

Lauri said...

Love your BIG HAIR. Thanks for showing us how to do it. I learned a thing or two...first: new comb, second, more hairspray.

Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] said...

Ohmygosh. I just love, love, LOVE your blog. Did I mention how much I LOVE it?! I read it all the time (I'm terribly at commenting, SORRY!) and I look forward to when you have a new post. I love your writing style, your quirkiness, spunk, fashion sense and BIG HAIR!!! Goodness you are gorgeous and I loved learning how to get big hair. Although I don't think I could pull it off, your video made it look really easy, and made me want to try it out - I bet I would like it.

Thanks for sharing your life with us fellow bloggers and followers - it's fun having "virtual" friends. Did I just call us friends? I feel like I know you :)

Looking forward to more of your "vlogs" I think you did a great job! Being in front of the camera is tough stuff. I've done a couple of videos for TriedandTasty and I was so nervous for them. In the end I loved it!

Also love pot roast, you make me want to cook one up asap. I want one of those LeCruset pots sooooo bad - super jealous of yours. Some day when I get one I will get it in green!!!

{cindy} said...

TOTALLY cool video!
Wish I could figure out how to do that! Though it certainly wouldn't be of me doing me hair...probably something more like Aubrey singing Twinkle Twinkle!!:)
Thanks for the great tips! Amazing what a littel teasing afnd hair spray can do. You looke adorable!
yeah for pot roast
boo for spilt milk!
have a happy day gen

everyday katie said...

I"m playing catch-up today.

Your video was so cute...I had to watch even though your tutorial wasn't applicable to my short, short hair. I share your (as you put it) "excessive love for hairspray." You're great on camera. And I loved how you said at the end that it was the end of your first vlog...that implies more. I'll be looking forward to them.

Congrats on your pot roast. I was nervous for my first, too. I put it off for years. But I've been successfully making roasts for like 4 years now. In fact I made one yesterday. It's easy.

Cute clothes...I can't believe your in shorts and flip flops. I had to buy Parker a winter coat last week because he had an outdoor field trip and the weather was in the 30's.

I'm jealous of your trip to Oak Glen. We have some really fun apple orchards here and we have a great time, but I have so many growing up memories of Oak Glen. I love it there. And no where else makes apple doughnuts. Your family is so cute.

Lisa said...

Your vlog was great!! I, too, am a lover of big hair, so I was excited to get some additional tips and ideas! I stumbled across your blog when I was at Pleated Poppy checking out the WIWW posts for some outfit inspiration. I don't comment often, but thought it was important to let you know that I read your blog. I am a mom, wife, and work as well, so I can relate to many of your posts!

Genn said...

Hi Lisa!!
Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I was hoping to find your blog but it looks like you don't have one? You should! wiww is so fun to link up to. I love all of the outfit inspiration I get from it. Thank you for your kind words! :) And happy big hair days. ;)

Anonymous said...

Cute vlog! I still can't master a messy pony tho. I'm dying for my hair to be cut this week I cannot wait! It's just not holding it's oomph being that it's 5-6 inches dead, eew. P.s. Noah is coming too so I'll leave wet...His Dad switched me days cause he's taking him to a trick or treat thing Thursday which defeated my Wednesday hair apt but whateves. That was a long comment, maybe I should have texted you. :)

mom2parker said...

Oh my gosh -- LOVE the hair video! Thanks so much for posting :) I frequent your blog and always wonder how you get it to look so big. Am DEF going to get one of those combs at Sally! Love your style and sass, girl!!!

Also love your WIWW posts ;)

Abby

Barb said...

Hi Genn! I LOVE the video and have watched it twice. It was so helpful for me. I have fine hair with the slightest wave, but lots of it. (at least that's what everyone tells me) So it can get flat easily - and your spray and tease method worked awesome for me. It's like new hair for me. I got three comments on my hair yesterday, and it totally made my day. I think I might love you. Thank you! Now what else can you show me?

Happy Tuesday to you!

Amber said...

You are RAD!!Loved the vlog! I now know why my hair never holds a tease...I am not using enough hair spray! lol! How often do you go through those bad boys! love it.

Anonymous said...

not sure how I found your blog.. but love it! You have inspired me to get out of my sweats everyday ( i'm a SAHM) and now you have inspired me to do my hair! went out and bought everything you told me too.... going to attempt tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!

Sandy said...

I just finally got around to watching the vlogs and you did great!! It was so informative! And I liked that you told what products you used and everything. You seemed like a natural! It was so cute!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...